Sunday, September 20, 2009

Funny Thought

I am posting twice tonight - my first daily double. This second entry is happier than the first. It is a funny memory I had forgotten that just came back to me, and I am enjoying it so much I decided to share. It might be too graphic for some of you, but I think you'll decide it's worth it.

Kirk and I pretty much went to bed at the same time as each other every night. I say "pretty much" because we always meant to go at the same time, but in reality what often happened was that he would go to bed, and ask me if I was coming. I would tell him I'd be right in. He (because he knew me and my version of time) would say "what does "right in" mean?" I would give him a variety of answers - anywhere between two and twenty minutes. However, I often didn't get there quite as fast as I committed. If it really took me a long time, he would come out and give me a look of humorous exasperation, and I would jump up from whatever I was doing and go to bed.

I don't know why I delayed - we both loved that time together. Cuddling, watching TV and laughing together, talking quietly - whatever. Then falling asleep all wrapped up in each other. It was one of the best times of the day, which is why he was always anxious for me to come in and join him.

At any rate, about a year ago, there was a night when I took a lot longer than I said I would to come in. In reality, it was probably about 20 minutes. When I got there, he said it had taken me forever. I said it hadn't - that it was only a few minutes. We bantered back and forth about it. Finally, he said he could prove that I had kept him waiting a really long time, and that I would agree he was right. I asked how, and this is what he said:

"If you went to the doctor, and he stuck his finger in your butt for that long, would it be a REALLY long time, or not?"

After laughing so hard I thought I would wet my pants, I acknowledged that the amount of time it took me to come to bed that night would indeed have been a VERY long time to have the doctor's finger in my butt. From that day on, I came to bed much faster, and if I was even a few minutes later than I said I would be, he would come and and wiggle his finger at me or pretend to be putting rubber gloves on. It worked every time.

A very funny thought - one of many, courtesy of Kirk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For anyone who knows me - I am happy if you want to comment, but for the sake of security, I am trying not to reveal too much personal identifying info. Please do not include my last name, where we/I live(d), where we/I work(ed), or any other info that I have not already shared. Thanks -